(The picture above is an actual home in Jacksonville, on the market several years ago. The picture was taken at the appointment showing time. The picture serves as an example of what NOT to do.)
Selling a home in Jacksonville? Avoid these 6 mistakes:
- Pricing for Yesteryear: Too many home sellers are caught up in what the home is worth based on the bubble years. It's very important to start from scratch by having a market report created that will establish a value range. If you would like an opinion of value contact a licensed Jacksonville Real Estate Agent.
- Lack of Competitive Knowledge: You must understand what is on the market that will be your competition. It's more than just a price. Do the competitors have a pool, private yard, large yard, culdesac, bonus room, 3 car garage, screened lanai, etc? Knowing who your competitors are will help to price appropriately.
- Hiring the Wrong Agent: Today's market requires more skill than being a for sale sign installer. Still, home sellers hire a friend, a relative, a neighbor and end up frustrated with the lack of success. You need an agent focused on marketing, who is tech savvy, and can work with the Buyer's agent to get the deal together and keep it together.
- Limiting your Marketing Exposure: Gone are the days of buyer's scanning through the newspaper, flipping through the Home Buyer magazines, or driving around endlessly. Yes, they still do those things, but in ever-declining numbers. They start their search online with over 90% of all home buyer's spending an average of 40 hours online during their home search. Make sure your agent has properly maximized the online exposure of your home.
- Ignoring Web Appeal: What do buyer's do when shopping online? They look at pictures! Too many sellers do a "general clean" when prepping for pictures. To make your pictures the best and to give your home the most web appeal, de-clutter everything, paint touch up, new mulch, trim hedges, plant flowers, etc. Need storage space? Get a storage unit. Quality of photos is very important and your agent should use a professional photographer or should have photography skills with professional equipment.
- Being Present at the Showings: OUCH! Nothing makes the buyer and buyer's agent more uncomfortable than the owner lurking around while the home is being shown. Don't do it. The buyer's agent is a licensed REALTOR and adheres to a strong code of ethics, so your home is in good hands. Have a luxury home and want to make sure your home is being represented correctly - some listing agents will provide this service. I personally provide this service when requested for my luxury waterfront listings.
Thank you in advance for Sharing!
Give us a call at 904-234-5196 if we can help you buy or sell real estate in Jacksonville, FL.
Leave a Comment
Listing information last updated on October 18th, 2019 at 8:38pm EDT.